Gardens will be open to the public
Saturdays and Sundays 7am-7pm
We are also open Tuesdays, 4pm-8pm for Open Nights.
You must reserve a time slot to attend.
For details on our phased reopening read the message below.
All programs are open to the public.
Please check our Calendar for upcoming-virtual programs.
We will continue to provide updates on our website and our Facebook page as the situation develops.
A Message to our Garden Stewards (6.19.20)
During this time of uncertainty, the health and safety of our visitors, volunteers, and employees are the highest priorities of Monk Botanical Gardens, as well as caring for our plants and facilities. Monk Botanical Gardens is recognized as an “urban oasis” in Wausau. Each year this wild 30-acre piece of land has continued to develop into a beautiful botanical garden. Volunteers and most recently staff have collectively committed thousands of hours to the development.
As a private non-profit the financial support from our donors, members, and local foundations has been critical to ensuring the Gardens’ longevity and continued development. In 2020, we hired our first Horticulture & Grounds Manager, making us a staff of three. We were on track to host 10,000 visitors, memberships hit an all-time high, environmental education classes were in full swing, and programs serving marginalized communities were growing. Then on March 23rd, we announced that the Gardens would be temporarily closed due to COVID-19, and at that moment, short- and long-term planning accelerated.
The Monk Botanical Gardens’ board and staff have developed a phased reopening plan with an emphasis on the readiness of the Gardens to protect its visitors and employees. We must ensure we have all safety measures in place for visitors. We have a small staff and some volunteers and visitors will be considered to be at a higher health risk. In addition, as a non-health-related non-profit, we have limited access to some of the personal protection equipment (PPE). These factors, and others, will affect when and at what capacity we can safely serve our members and visitors.
The Gardens is a wonderful place to find respite, solace, and peace in these uncertain times. You can be confident that we will continue to connect people to plants while doing our part to slow the spread, reduce healthcare impacts, and protect our employees, volunteers, members, and visitors.
The Monk Botanical Gardens has developed a phased plan of reopening based on the CDC guidelines, Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation guidelines, and the Trump Administration’s phased criteria for reopening. As always the health and safety of our visitors, employees, and volunteers are of the highest priority.
We will open to the public exclusively on Saturday and Sundays, 7am-7pm, starting June 27th and Tuesdays starting June 9th from 4 pm-8 pm.
All visitors must follow these guidelines:
- If you are sick or have any symptoms do not visit the Gardens.
- All visitors must wear a mask while at the Gardens.
- All visitors must practice social distancing (6 feet apart).
- Garden trails have been marked one way. You must follow the designated trails.
- Bathrooms, and artwork are closed for use by visitors.
Interested in Tuesday Open Nights? You must register. Click here for more information.
All programming will continue to be open to the public. Some adult programming will be at the Gardens in small numbers (under 10) including Hands-on-Plants and Yoga. We will continue to provide programming virtually as well. All onsite children's programming is postponed until Phase II. However, we will continue to provide a multitude of virtual programs including virtual summer camp for kids. For more information about programs check out our website at www.monkgardens.org.
Phase I will continue until we see a decrease in cases for 14 days as recommended by the Trump Administration’s reopening plan.
Need a membership? Click here.
What are we doing?
- Staying up to date with the latest news and guidelines from the CDC and WI Dep. of Health Services and keeping the team informed.
- All staff are working remotely from home or outside while practicing social distancing. You can still reach staff at 715-261-6309 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Canceling all programs and events through June 1st. Anyone who has registered for a canceled event will be reimbursed immediately.
- Developing new programs and events to continue to serve our community in a safe way.
- All committees, board, and staff meetings will be held virtually.
- Some events have been rescheduled to later in the summer.
- No volunteers who are at high risk or 60 or older will volunteer with the public.
- All staff and volunteers will wear masks.
- We have installed hand sanitizer stations.
- We have increased our sanitation efforts.
- Volunteers and staff are doing best practices for the workplace.
How can you help?
- Stay up to date with the latest news and guidelines from the CDC and WI Dep. of Health Services and keeping the team informed.
- Avoid contact with others. Stay home unless getting food or medicine.
- Keep yourself healthy: eat, drink water, sleep, and get exercise outdoors (keeping 6 feet of separation).
- Wash your hands and clean surfaces frequently.
- Click here for more information from the CDC on how to keep you, your family, and community safe.
To stay up to date on these new programs that you can do from home or on your own at the Gardens, follow our Facebook page or check out our website.
Thank you for your support throughout this challenging time.